Dirigo Labs Growth Manager
Do you love startups as much as we do? Do you thrive on networking and know how to navigate Maine’s entrepreneurial ecosystem? Do you have a knack for incredible presentations and a solid understanding of scaling innovation-based companies? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
Central Maine Growth Council (CMGC) is seeking a Growth Manager to join the Dirigo Labs (DL) team. In this newly created position, you’ll be an integral part of building a startup hub for emerging companies, mentors, and supporters. As the face for DL, you will engage with a wide variety of organizations, startups, founders, and business professionals across the state, evangelizing for both the mid-Maine region and the accelerator. As a critical team member, you will track and manage performance metrics, including readiness assessments, while maintaining a competitive cohort applicant pipeline.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a fast-growing community while leveraging partnerships with academia, area economic development collaborators, and the larger entrepreneurial ecosystem. The role will require travel 50% of the time throughout Maine and New England.
Ideal candidates are master communicators who understand startup evolution, capital formation, and have experience connecting people and resources. This role is well-suited for organized multi-taskers who possess strong people skills, thrive under pressure, understand product development cycles and are highly collaborative. A background in technology, sales, or business development is highly desired.
- Serve as a key member of the region’s startup ecosystem and helps drive the overall DL market and technical strategy
- Understand startup funding paths and scale trajectories
- Develop and manage relationships between statewide startup accelerators, incubators, and startup companies to ensure success using the DL platform(s) and suite of services
- Execute strategic initiatives for Central Maine Growth Council and DL while working closely with internal stakeholders
- Understand and actively utilize the DL CRM tracking software and other internal systems to operationalize the startup acquisition funnel, manage to report, and relays tracking analysis
- Actively recruit founders, mentors, and startups that will contribute to the long-range growth of DL and the CMGC region
- Possess strong business lead generation and client/account management skills
- Manage competing priorities and work independently
- Proven ability to utilize social media and other networking activities
- Partner with other entrepreneurial organizations, including hiring managers and Maine-based innovation networks to identify, manage, and fill current and upcoming DL cohorts
- Conduct interviews with startup candidates, including first-level interviews and technical screening
- Participate in weekly strategy meetings, contributes feedback and updates on active candidates
- Ensure candidates from underrepresented groups are included in the applicant pools
- Assist in building and implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies
- 4-year degree preferred; relevant growth management or accelerator experience may be substituted for the right candidate, including relevant experience in building scalable tech teams, raising capital, or accelerator experience
- In-depth knowledge of Maine’s economic development service providers and entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Familiarity with startup fundraising, including general familiarity with grant programs, angel investing, venture capital, and debt financing
- Knowledge of New England’s startup environment, including conferences, networking events, accelerators,
- Experienced with public speaking and giving presentations
- In-depth understanding of scaling high-growth potential companies
- Computer literacy and proficiency in common PC applications with a high degree of technical acumen
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to build credibility at all levels and proactively network to establish relationships
- Demonstrate ability to execute recruiting strategy, including employer promotion in the marketplace, candidate management, diversity sourcing, and interview process management
- Strong negotiation and in-person meeting facilitation skills
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the State of Maine and New England
- Must have an active driver’s license